Friday, March 14, 2008

A Typical Night at our House


Some of my best memories of when I was little are of me and my siblings playing and wrestling with my dad. We all loved to jump on his back and he would ride us around and dump us off somewhere. It would usually end with one of us getting hurt and crying or one of us kids hurting my dad, but it's still a great memory.
My kids don't get a lot of time with Perry, so I love that every night before bed if he is home, it is their time to play with him. They play everything from hide and seek to pillow fighting to Lions (a Galan family favorite). Basically we all pretend we are lions and we crawl around on our hands and knees and roar etc. I know it sounds crazy, but our kids absolutely love it. I love it because I usually get to sit and just be entertained for a few minutes and enjoy watching them all have so much fun with their dad. Sometimes I'm coerced into participating and acting as the mother lion, but mostly I'm there to make sure things don't get too out of hand. Perry sometimes likes to throw the kids up in the air a little too high or throw those pillows a little too hard. Well, Perry has worn out the knees in several pairs of his pants playing and crawling around with the kids, so this particular night he decided he would wear shorts and this is what happened. The skin on his knee came right off! Ouch! I thought it was cute that his little injury was from playing with the kids. The next night he was at it again with moleskin bandages on his knees. He really is such a great dad and the kids miss him like crazy right now. I tried playing with them tonight before bed the way Perry does and it was exhausting. Andrew was telling me all the things I was doing wrong. "That's not what daddy does!" Sigh. It's going to be a long two months.


11 comments:

Kate, Brian and Hazel said...

I just have a visual of you crawling around roaring like a momma lion...classic! That is cute, i forgot Perry has left already, can't believe his knee...ouch. We will be there soon to play Lions with you.

Des said...

Wait a minute...Where is Perry? And why didn't I know he was leaving? What an outstanding friend I am!! I know that I used to think there couldn't be anything worse then being apart from Orange. Now I know there is ONE thing...My kids without their dad! So heart breaking.
On a happier note. This is such a cute post. I think if you can manage to keep all those balls up in the air (both mom & Dad) That part of playing lion will come naturally. But you wonder if there will be any energy left to see it play out:O Good luck and I will be thinking of you.-OR- here's an idea...come out to Utah and we can be single mom's together. That could fun!!

Monique said...

Hee hee! When we had your kids over they wanted to play "Lions" and now I know what they meant. Funny! Now I want pictures of YOU playing Lion with the kids. :) These 2 months are going to fly by with your busy schedule. I'm trying to help you stay busy by having you bring me all the stuff that I leave at your house. What a great friend, huh? I can just imagine you and Des in Utah together. 2 single moms with SEVEN kids! Pretty normal for Utah, right?

Marianne said...

This post reminds me of when we used to do that in our house almost daily. We somehow have gotten all wrapped up in life, and have stopped taking the time to play with the kids and be silly. Thanks for reminding me of how fun being a parent can be.

SheL said...

You have such a cute family! Tyler and I read your post before church this morning and we were both laughing. I can't wait to do things like that!
It makes me sad that Perry won't be here when my family comes out.. I wanted you both to meet them. Oh well.. maybe next time.

Lucy said...

what dedication to a family tradition. sacrificing his body, love it. Hey that's what moms do, sacrifice their bodies for the kiddos. There was a great article in the ensign about "playing" and laughing and having fun as a family, I loved it. I'm sorry about the next two months. Stinky Army.

Molly said...

That is so cute! He is such a good dad. The top pic looks a little weird to me... the angle is all wrong and Abby looks way smaller then everyone else! It is cute though.

Lions huh! Sounds fun... we will have to play in a few weeks. That is one serious injury though, I am not so sure i am interested if that is what results.

Annie said...

2 months?! Where did he go? Hang in there...I don't know what I would do without Trevor to put the kids to bed at night. That's their special time with him, and he is so much better at getting on the floor and playing with them.

Kingery Family said...

I am so not good with seeing skin or blood, and that picture totally grossed me out. I want to see you play lions now, I can't get the picture out of my head, :)

Emily said...

We play "horse" at our house! Joe has had a few injuries too! I usually just watch too! It's amazing how much husbands do in those few hours before bed. I don't realize it until Joe is gone for a night. Hope you are holding up okay!

Anonymous said...

Sara... Of course I remember you! My has your family grown, but I guess mine has too. Your family looks really cute, glad to be back in touch. (I'm adding you to my blog)