Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hilton Head Half


So Saturday was the much anticipated half marathon. Nicole and I drove three hours to Hilton Head, S.C. and stayed the night. That night we loaded up on carbs at Carrabba's. Okay, we totally pigged out because what other time is it encouraged to stuff your face with tons of bread and pasta? We had to take advantage. The next morning we woke up to a beautiful sunny day. The cold front left the south just in time for the race. It was still a little chilly at 8:00 am, so we decided to start the race with our jackets on and then tied them around our waists when we got hot. Something we hadn't expected to do.

The race started out pretty good. There were hundreds of runners. It was crazy just trying to find a place to step at first. Once we got going and everyone spread out, it was fun. There is so much energy in a race and it is so unpredictable. Every run is different and you never know what you might encounter. Besides the seam of my sock rubbing funny on one of my toes and the massive cramp I got in my upper abs at one point, it went pretty smooth. Neither of those things had ever happened to me before. Another thing that has NEVER happened to me before was that I totally peed my pants on the last 50 yards in! Not just a little bit, A LOT. Sorry if this is TMI for some of you, but it was pretty funny. The race was over and it was still coming out! I had absolutely no control. Total muscle failure. I hear it can happen sometimes. Especially to women who have had three kids. YIKES!

Nicole was on fire. She kept up an awesome pace the whole time and had a great race. She seemed completely un-phased by the whole thing and is ready to do another. She totally helped me and I am so glad we did this together. We came in at 2:03, but we aren't sure how accurate that time was because there were no ankle timers and we started out toward the back. After the race we had a great day with more good food and an afternoon of shopping at the Hilton Head outlet mall. It was a total blast and we are definitely looking for another race if anyone wants to join us :)

Nicole and her rock-solid bod flexing and stretching. She's cool like that.

Okay, I look like an old lady. She caught me mid-stretch and I actually lost my balance and fell over right after she took the pic. Good times.



Our twinner asics. These puppies really got us through it all. Sniff. Sniff. Along with Gu and a kick-A playlist.

23 comments:

Sylwia said...

wow! congratulations! you girls are awesome!!!

Dasha said...

wow! you go girl! i'm so impressed and really feel even more like a slacker now. i so need to get back into running. you are in inspiring. you look fantastic, and not fantastic for having three kids, fantastic in that it's hard to believe you have three kids!!!!

Nicole said...

I can't believe we did it, and I can't believe we did it so well. Go us!

And thanks for making me pee MY pants over and over again, as I will for the rest of my life when I think about you peeing through the finish. You make me laugh so hard!

Thanks for getting us going with all this craziness -- it's been fantastic and you started it!

The Galan Family said...

You are awesome! I am super embarressed to say I did one now but next time my friend won't be pregnant and needing to pee every mile, and stopping to walk because of cramping and such. I need to get my act together though so I can be ready for Oct in Kansas City. You should totally come!

The Galan Family said...

Oh by the way that comment was from me Deirdrie not Paul and not the whole Galan clan as the picture shows! Way to go again - I started to cry when I finished, didn't quite pee my pants although I wanted to. Just remember depends the next time!

Crystal said...

Wow! I'm so impressed by you ladies!


Remember when you thought you could only jog on a treadmill watching Martha?

Jaclyn said...

I am very impressed with you. One day I want to run a marathon and be just like YOU. Great job. And thanks for the pee story, it made you sound a little more human and a little less wonder womanish...even though you still are wonder woman in my book. No one told us these things would happen after you give birth a few times. Thanks for the story and well done with the race.

Anonymous said...

Yea! I'm so excited for you and wish I could do one again!!! Your time ROCKED!!! I'm jealous! You look awesome and it sounds like it went so well and I LOVE that you told us that you peed your pants! Way too funny, you just made my night!!!

Kate, Brian and Hazel said...

Wahoo Sarah! I am very proud of you and very jealous...i miss going for a run. You guys made great time. I didn't know you peed through the finish line....priceless! Be glad, it could have been something much worse:) I love your stretching pic, it totally reminded me of mom. Ha

Unknown said...

Way to go! And you totally don't look like an old lady in your stretching picture - check out that calf muscle!! Thanks for sharing the pee story - too funny and it helps us all feel a little more normal after all the changes from birth.

Jared and Lydia said...

You guys look awesome! And hey, I'd probably soil myself like 5 miles into the race, so you're still awesome!

Shilae said...

You SO don't look like an old lady--I noticed the calf muscle Jamie mentioned. You are my hero, and my inspiration! I never knew about the possibility of peeing--good to know.
Congratulations!

JustMe said...

You blog is every bit as wonderful as Nicole's blog - and your blog even made me laugh.

You are both so beautiful and strong. You remind me of the old song "I am woman hear me roar".

Job well done - good for you!

Kylene said...

Great job! You just solidified my reason for only running on treadmills. I can quit before my bladder gives out! Congrats, and good luck on your next one!

Brandi said...

I Happened to read Nicole's blog first, and she said you did something funny. My very first thought was that you peed your pants, but I didn't expect to be right! You should have worn one of those handy dandy diapers. :)

Congrats!

Sonia said...

Wow!! Sarah you look absolutely amazing!!! Congratulations!

Des said...

Way to go Sarah! What an awesome thing to have under your belt. After I am done growing this baby I am totally going to try one of these. It gets me excited to think about. Sounds like a blast. Well, the race...not the training:) Great job!

sara said...

Ahhh! I am so impressed! I'm also laughing so hard I might pee my pants. You are inspiring!

Monique said...

Where are you?? I couldn't see you bc of how flippin skinny you are!!! You look awesome and I am very proud of you. Way to go! ... There is a half marathon here in Budapest in September... seriously. come. :) Also, I have had that "issue" on many races... SUPER PLUS pad works for me. I'm a big kid now.

carlene said...

Hi Sarah, way too go!! I am so proud of you. Seems like I have hear a similar story about you, hum. No more information!! I laughed and laughed!!. You go girl!!

Molly said...

Good job Sarah! And you said you were not a runner...

I love that you shared your pee story... classic YOU. I don't know many people who have as many pee stories as you do. Kate... can YOU vouch for that??

Emily said...

Sarah, that is so awesome! Congratulations and thanks for the potty laugh:)

Josh and Tiff Roundy said...

Sara you are awesome! you make me laugh! I am so envyious right now. I would love to be able to do that. Good Job! I loved the pee story too.