So we have this big hill behind our house that is just dead, dried grass and dirt and all the little "street kids" (I call them street kids because they run around the neighborhood barefoot and unsupervised at all hours of the day and night) drag flattened cardboard boxes up the hill and then slide down the hill on the cardboard. It looks so trashy back there because the neighborhood kids just leave the cardboard scraps and there are piles of it all over. My kids have always wanted to join in the fun, but I never would let them because it just seemed too dangerous and well... dirty and you all know I am not so easy-going when it comes to just letting my kids play in the dirt. Well today I finally gave in. Perry was supposed to be home from his TDY in Virginia at 11:00 am but he missed his connecting flight and was delayed until 2:00! I had to find a way to entertain them for a while and the weather happened to be beautiful. They had an absolute blast riding down that hill over and over and were filthy dirty by the end. Why is it so hard for me to just let loose and let them have fun sometimes? I was a street kid, why shouldn't my kids be? At least once in a while :)
They were airborne here for a second.
On the way down. Aren't you jealous your backyard doesn't look like this?
The wind was blowing pretty hard today.
View from the top. Too bad it doesn't snow here, it would be the perfect sledding hill.
Little Aves hasn't let her doggy out of her clutches in over a week.





18 comments:
Every so often we all have to let out the WT in us. Sometimes I just can't resist Chuck a rama or fried Spam. But don't tell any one! Looks like the kids had a great time, good job on letting them get dirty (I feel your pain). I hope Perry made it home safely.
Okay we are so Ghetto. My kids totally do this... WE also take skateboards up the hill, I make the kids wear their bike helmets so it's somewhat safe. so much fun. Sarah it's because we don't get snow we have to take cardboard and skateboards to the top of the hill. I think it's Smart. Ghetto maybe but the kids have so much fun.
We WERE street kids. I am proud of you Sar. I know how big that is... for you to just let them get dirty! That looks so fun. you guys should ice block down that hill.
Look at how much fun they are having! I know it's hard to let them get dirty...but it's usually worth it. :D
Well, everyone's gotta have a ghetto friend, and well, I guess you're mine. :-) Nah - my kids would TOTALLY want to do that, and I would TOTALLY resist it for the very same reasons, and at some desperate point in time when Jared is out of town, I would TOTALLY give in, just like you did. :-)
How fun! I'm glad you let loose for a while- sorry about the delay with perry- those unexpected last hours last FOREVER. Glad he's home.
Cute ... and what a fun mom you are to let them go ... almost like snow right? Welcome to Ge-or-gia :)
that looks like fun. maybe we should come over and ride!
Oh Sarah, you know I am so with you on this topic. Luckily for our kids Orange is the opposite and he does all the dirty deeds. It has been a little of a challenge to break out of this shell since Orange was gone but living out on a farm was helpful. Like you I was also a street kid but have the hardest time letting my kids be. My best suggestion to you is...have another baby. With each kid I add I cave a little easier for lack of time to argue with hopeful children. Plus, somehow the desire to bath them frequently and doddle over every outfit just isn't practical anymore. Live and learn...or should I say still learning! Looks like great fun!
I think this beats our ghetto grass slide in our back yard! Nicely done, and good job on just letting them do it.
Looks like fun! I was laughing so hard when I finally figured out what they were doing. I forget what it's like to have dirt everywhere. We're spoiled here in MD with spontaneous grass growth.
I'm with you, though. Dirty kids are not my favorite thing. That's probably why Josh is crazy OCD. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. :)
I'mglad I'mnottheonly mom htat would FREAK over something like that.I have a really hard time letting my boys let loose.But it does look like they had lot of fun. I guess we have to remember what our favorite memories were as kids....usually ones like these right.
They looked like they had a blast! My friends and I used to do this in high school but when it was raining....so at least they're not muddy street kids :]
Lol that is awesome! I want to try!
That looks like so much fun, but I'm with you if it is dangerous or dirty no way. Ryan is always telling me, just let them be boys. It's a good thing kids have moms.
Sarah, you will NEVER seem ghetto! Love the pics- they look like they had a great time!
Oh my goodness! WHAT FUN! I am the same as you though, I have a really hard time with my kids getting dirty. Like, I HATE sandboxes. Anyway, very cute pics and I hope your move goes smoothly! OH! My friend Jody Harmon Lee knows you. Small world.
It looks like lots of fun, but I totally get you on the I hate letting the kids get really dirty. Mostly I think this has to do with Bridgette's aversion to getting dirty/ messy. I seriously have to convince the girl it's okay to make a mess. I love all the photos. You all look great!
Post a Comment