Saturday, February 16, 2008

Abby Lost Her 1st Tooth!

Abby has had a loose tooth for a few months now. Well, today it was barely hanging on by a thread and we suggested that she let us tie some floss around it and yank it out. Taking after me (with a very low tolerance for pain), I didn't think she would go for it, but she said "okay". I tied the floss around the little tooth and didn't have to pull very hard before it came right out. She cried just a little afterward, mostly because it was bleeding and because it felt so different. But I was so proud of her bravery! I think her main motivation to let me pull it out was knowing that the Tooth Fairy would be coming tonight. I can't believe that my baby is already losing her baby teeth! A milestone that I had never really thought about before. So my question to you all is, what does the Tooth Fairy leave under the pillow these days? Is it still pocket change, $ bills, candy? I need some direction from the more experienced parents out there. Please give me your ideas.

14 comments:

Monique said...

When Haley told me that Abby had a loose tooth last night while driving home, I didn't think it was THAT loose! How funny! Haley had me check her teeth to see if any of hers were loose, too. . . this is a milestone that for some reason I'm not ready for. Loosing teeth!! aaaak!

Penny said...

Um...I know someone that actually got $20 for their first tooth. I think that's pretty extreme and would never do such a thing.

I know that Mayah would LOVE a dollar since she loves getting dollars from Grandma Galan.

You may want to leave a note from the tooth fairy. Like a thank you note or a reminder to keep brushing her teeth. Maybe even a new toothbrush?

I think I got a quarter for my first tooth.

Marianne said...

The tooth fairy leaves gold dollars for the first couple of teeth until she forgets and then she just leaves plain old dollar bills. Then she just totally forgets for days and days until the kids figure out the secret. Now they pretty much just bring me the tooth and exchange it for a bill. However, she doesn't work on the sabbath day. Which is good because I usually don't have cash around to pass out to greedy kids trying to make a buck off their teeth. Sorry for the rant. When Patricia lost her top teeth, she lost both of them at the same time, so the TF brought her some baby food since she couldn't bite anything. She got a kick out of that!

Des said...

Wow, that is a milestone. I am surprised that you pulled it sarah. Thinking about doing that gives me the heebie jeebies. We got 50 cents. But we lived in Chile for a year when I was younger and the TF brought a candy bar. So after that we got 50cent and a candy bar. I loved it! When I was a nanny. The little girl would leave a letter for the tooth fairy asking for a gift. Yeah...that will never happen. "Dear toothfairy, I would like some princess shoes" and then her parents where midnight shopping trying to get the gift. Crazy. Congrats Abby!!

Des said...

oh, after that long comment I forgot to leave my own suggestion. I think we will do a dollar a tooth. Pretty simple. No little pieces to fall through mattress cracks while they are sleeping.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! Is it time for that so soon? She's a pretty brave little girl! There's no way the tooth fairy would pay $20 at our house, or mom and dad would start pulling their teeth out too. And Desiray, How come I never knew you lived in Chile for a year?

Molly said...

Thats funny????? Our tooth fairy seemed to forget everytime I lost a tooth! JK.

I like Penny's idea about a little note and reminder to keep brushing and maybe you could even give her the Colgate 360! With a $1 or so of course!

Congrats Abby, way to be brave!

Lucy said...

Congrats to Abby. Um can totally relate to Marianne. We once had to explain to Colson that the tooth fairy doesn't work on Wednesdays. OOPS!! Usually it's a buck, but when he pulls it out at 8 o'clock at night to avoid going to bed, I scrounge whatever change that we have and put it in a zippy. Lame. I know. But what can you do?!? I'm sure you'll think of something fun!

Lucy said...

One other thing, it's too late for Abby, but I did take a picture of Colson's smile right before he lost his tooth, we could tell it was going to be soon. I will cherish that photo. This is a tip for the rest of you "not at that stage yet".

Kate, Brian and Hazel said...

Way to go Abby! I wish you would have made a video of you yanking that tooth out. Was she scared? I have no memories of the tooth fairy coming...do you? I think a new toothbrush and a dollar would be cool as a kid.
p.s. where did you get that adorable clippy in Abby's hair???

J.R. said...

That is so cute! Seriously though. Did the Tooth Fairy come? Becuase the Tooth Fairy has failed to show for ANY of our children's teeth. I don't know what's going on.

Annie said...

What a big girl! Grace will be so jealous. She's probably one of the only 1st graders to still have ALL of her teeth.

Weir Family said...

I can't believe she is getting so old. I don't even want to think of having to be the sneaky tooth fairy. Good luck, I just say start small so you don't have big expectations every time!

Lyon Pride said...

We forgot to leave money under Taylor's pillow on his second or third tooth. The next morning when he was bummed about the tooth fairy not coming I had to think quickly. It happened to be Monday morning so I said, "the tooth fairy must not work on Sundays." He bought it! Unfortunately, the next tooth that came out was on a Sunday and luckily he reminded me that the tooth fairy doesn't come on Sunday or I may have blown my cover. He has more holes in his mouth than teeth right now.